in BRITISH COLUMBIA
On 1 September 2008 Security Services Act replaced the 26-year-old Private
Investigators and Security Agencies Act (PISA).
(old) Regulated under PISA: (Private Investigators and
( new) SSA (Security Services
Act ) replaces PISA:
Security Services that Require a Licence:
- Security Guard, Security Guard Under
Supervision and in-house Security Guard
Provides or supervises a guard patrol or watch of property;
provides or supervises a guard of an individual; performs services to
prevent the loss of property; and/or provides door security at an
establishment licensed under the Liquor Control and Licensing Act. Security
Guards can also respond and monitor alarms installed on the property of
Security Guard Under Supervision does the work of a security guard only
under the direct supervision of a fully licensed security guard.
- Security Alarm Installer and Security Alarm
Installer Under Supervision
A person who sells, supplies, provides advice on, or offers to install
a security alarm and maintains or repairs security alarms. A Security
Alarm Installer can also code or recode an electronic locking device,
make, sell or otherwise provide a lock operating device for an electronic
locking device. This type of licensee can also sell, supply, provide advice on,
service or install any closed circuit television equipment device or
Security Alarm Installer Under Supervision must work under the direct
supervision of a fully licensed Security Alarm Installer.
Monitors security alarms installed on the property of another person.
Responds to and monitors security alarms installed on the property of
Sells or gives advice on security alarms.
Note: A person, who sells security alarms but does not attend the
premises where the security alarm has been or will be installed, does not
require a licence under the Security Services Act.
A person who advises on methods of protecting property from vandalism,
intrusion, trespass or theft; or provides the service of detecting
electromagnetic, acoustical or other devices by which private communications or
records may be intercepted, transmitted or examined.
Armoured car services transport property, valuables and money in
approved armoured vehicles. Armoured car guards may possess firearms in
connection with their employment upon providing proof to the Registrar that they
have a current, valid Authorization to Carry a restricted firearm certificate
- Locksmiths and Locksmith Under Supervision
1. makes, services, repairs, codes, records, rekeys or repins
any locking device (except a person who codes or recodes a device that person
2. cuts, makes, sells or otherwise provides restricted keys;
3. cuts, makes, sells or otherwise provides keys from a numerical or
alphabetical code or a combination of numerical and alphabetical codes;
4. sells, services or repairs safes, vaults or other similar secure
storage methods; or
5. sells, supplies and installs an electronic locking device.
Locksmith Under Supervision performs the work of a locksmith only while
under the direct supervision of a fully licensed locksmith.
- Private Investigator, Private Investigator
Under Supervision and in-house Private Investigator
A person, who for consideration, seeks or obtains information about:
1. crimes, offences, contraventions or misconduct, or allegations of
crimes, offences contraventions or misconduct;
2. the activities, character or repute of a person or organization; the
whereabouts of a person;
3. the location, disposition or recovery of lost, stolen or missing
4. the cause of or the responsibility of any fire, accident or incident
in which damage to property or injury to any person has occurred.
Private Investigator Under Supervision performs the work of a private
investigator only under the supervision of a fully licensed Private
- Closed Circuit Television installer
Provides a service of selling, supplying, providing advice on,
servicing or installing any closed circuit television equipment, device or
- Electronic Locking Device (Access Control)
Installer Provides the following services:
1. selling, supplying, providing advice on, servicing or installing an
electronic locking device;
2. coding or recoding an electronic locking device;
3. making, selling or providing a lock-operating device for an electronic
- Body Armour Sales / Vendor
The selling of body armour may only be done by licensed security
businesses (with licence type body armour vendor listed on their licence) and by
licensed security workers (who have licence type body armour sales listed on
their licence). Licensed security businesses and licensed security workers do
not have to apply for a permit to possess body armour for the purposes of sales.